We all love our coffee but why not use it in your home and outside for other uses as well as drinking it.
1. Mix ½ cup of used coffee grounds with 2 tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil. Massage all over body while standing in the shower. Leave on for 10 minutes before showering. This mixture will exfoliate your skin and may also help to reduce the appearance of cellulite.
2. Pour used coffee grounds down the sink or bathtub drain, followed by 3 drops of dish soap and a pot of boiling water. This will clean and clear the drain of clogs and built up grease.
3. Mix a teaspoon of used coffee grounds into your facial mask. It will exfoliate the skin and the caffeine will smooth and tighten.
4. If you have a garden, used coffee grounds are great to use as a fertilisers. If you do not have an immediate need for fertilizer, you can compost your coffee grounds for later use.
5. Sprinkle used coffee grounds around plants to keep ants away.
6. Put used coffee grounds in a bowl in the freezer to remove funky odours.
7. Fleas are a common problem in household pets, and treating them can be costly and time-consuming. But fleas don’t like coffee so simply rub the grounds throughout your pet’s fur after shampooing. Then rinse them off and allow your pet to dry as usual.
8. After chopping fresh garlic, rub your hands with used coffee grounds to get the garlicky smell off your fingers.
9. You can use coffee grounds to scour your pots and pans. Their abrasive texture helps scrape away caked-on food.
10. Use coffee grounds to weigh down the ashes in your fireplace before cleaning. This makes for easier ash removal and less mess.
At these times it is crucial for me to have hygge. Hygge time with family and friends, hygge moments with myself and a hyggelig home.
It’s small moments that money cannot buy you, finding the magic in the ordinary.’ Whether it’s listening to the rain with a cup of tea, or going on a long walk with a loved one, hygge can be harnessed all around us. We all know the feeling of hygge instinctively, but few of us ever manage to capture it for more than a moment.
Now Danish actress and hygge aficionado Marie Tourell Søderberg has travelled the length and breadth of her home country to create the perfect guide to cooking, decorating and enjoying yourself, inspired the hygge way.
It introduces you to Hygge with ideas, practices, steps and photographs and a guide to happy living which we could all do with a bit of that at the moment. It’s full of lovely photos and encouragement to introduce hygge into your life. Currently on offer on Amazon for £11.33 ( Hardback).
Cravings for comfort, for coziness, for contentment: everyone experiences the desire for a happier, less stressful, and more serene life.
Hygge, the Danish-born philosophy, is one proven way to achieve such a life. From the Old Norse for “well-being,” hygge embodies a philosophy that is as much a mindset as it is a way of life.
Specific activities are designed to encourage you to cultivate togetherness and joy at the smallest and simplest things in everyday life.
This book provides an in-depth explanation of the hygge lifestyle, as well as numerous bits of practical advice on how to practice hygge every day.
As you read this book, you will find the following, and much, much more!
A thorough grounding in the Danish art of hygge, the lifestyle equivalent of embracing a hug from the inside out
The eight ways to incorporate practical aspects of hygge into every part of your daily life, from hearth and home to food and crafts
The four things you should know about nurturing happy and serene relationships with children, parents, partners, and friends
Why living your life in a constant rush and stress – even if it feels materially lucrative – is not the path to ultimate happiness. Instead, engage with the simple things in life with gratitude and pleasure.
How to achieve household harmony without sacrificing friends and self-care
How to foster a sense of cozy happiness throughout the year, with simple ideas for each season and holiday
How to do all the above, surrounded by family and friends – the hallmark of a happy life
Learning to embrace the homemade and the found, creating thoughtful gifts and meaningful interactions in every aspect of your life
How to do all the above in frugal, environmentally responsible – and undeniably entertaining – ways
The fundamental understanding of where true happiness comes from and how you can embark on your journey to joy today!
And much, much more!
Take a second to imagine how you’ll feel once you start practicing hygge, and how your family and friends will react when they start to experience the joys of a peaceful, cozy, happy life. Even if you feel that your life is too busy to slow down and enjoy all the benefits of hygge, you can certainly achieve a state of hyggelige with a little assistance from the tips and techniques offered throughout this book.
Beginning to practice hygge in your life simply requires a desire to create an atmosphere conducive to comfort and calm, a focus on togetherness and family rather than work and status, and a belief that material wealth and consumer products do not equal happiness. Rather, it is an intrinsic feeling that comes from leading a comforting life of self-care and well-being. Success, following hygge, is not defined via one material thing. Rather, success is about work-life balance, creativity, and productivity in your life, comfort, and happiness in your home.
It is an ideal introduction to the concept of hygge with added references to art of mindfulness which I have written lots about on my other blog. Available from Amazon for £10.85